Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Family that Runs Together

I resolved to start the year by introducing my kids to running...

We were registered by my best friend Bench at Planet Sports in Cebu. I was for the 21k and my kids Jirbee, 11 and Kirbee who would be 10 by then were registered for the 5k.

I arrived in Cebu on 7 January and the run was scheduled for 9 January kicking off at the IT Park. Waterfront Lahug was then my chosen temporary residence.

This was my first 21k on road, but my second 21k overall, the first being Corregidor Int'l Half Marathon that included hills (i liked it), killer hills (would have liked it except that it ruins your running time) and trails.

Anyway, the kids were on their own for this race. They didn't want a chaperone with them insisting that they were old enough, so much for stressing "independence".

It was my first time to take the sights, sounds and smells of Cebu on foot. It was fun to be traversing those roads I used to drive by. Elevations were challenging... People were very supportive and you can feel the Sinulog spirit (one week to go before Sinulog).

I wasn't feeling any pain while running, I felt like I was taking all the time in the world. I blame it on the discomfort of the very hot and humid weather. Never again will I wear sleeved running top especially if it's to be in Cebu. I had to roll up my shirt and sleeves and took advantage of those showers and sponges. I appreciated this marshall who had to run with me showering me cool water with his sponge. Thanks for that Mr. marshall.

The run was well-organized by ASAP. Marshalls and hydration stations were of a fair ratio vis-a-vis the runners. I'd surely run in the Cebu City Marathon 2012 and this time donning a sports bra for my top.

I finished at 2:30:47
Jirbee, my little lady, finished @ 45:49, not bad for a first timer, 564th finisher out of 816 female runners
Kirbee, only 10 years old finished in 36:05, 412th out of 803 male runners

My kids always make me proud...

Finish Time 2:30:47
Reg Fee 21k 600 incl of New Balance Running Shirt and timing chip
Reg Fee 5k 500 incl of New Balance Running Shirt and timing chip
Race Date 9 Jan 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment