Friday, October 8, 2010

Stress Fracture

What started as chronic cramp complaints of the arch of both of my feet as well as my big toe getting stuck after stretches have gone awry.

I was lucky to have a good orthopaedic surgeon in Dr. Amelito Sia, not to mention young and good looking. He runs too. Initial advice was for me to have xrays of my feet in addition to an xray of my spine for I also complained of back pains and in the meantime to stop running until after I come back with my result. I was also to wear running shoes everyday, yes, at work included. This was September 17, the first time I came to see him was just a sidetrip from my pulmonary doctor as I was having a very bad cough.

September 19 I went trekking to Mt. Pinatubo and got back on the same day. The next day I could barely stand.

In the meantime I did not engage in any running activity, in fact I haven't been running since 12 September.

Come the big day for the Camsur Marathon 2010, no fitness regimen or training for two weeks I ran on the big day, 26 September, and I could say I was proud of my best finish so far.

27 September I was subject to additional nerve tests which was recommended by Dr. Sia during my 17 September visit coming back on 1 October to get my results. Unfortunately, Dr. Sia had a more pressing concern (I also didn't have any appointment) that he did not go to his clinic at Medical City that day.

I have just gotten back from another trip to the clinic of Dr. Sia and his evaluation of my xrays revealed, stress fracture of the third metatarsal and mild scoliosis. The sad advice he gave that he must have said over ten times was NO RUNNING!!!!! for 1 month. What about my KOTR on 24 October, what about my HSBC 135 Run on 6 November, what about my Ateneo Law Blue Race of on 7 November, what about my Runrio onf 21 November, worse what about my Corregidor International Half Marathon on 19 December (Dr. Sia @ 42 ran the first one last year and had a good finish).

He asked when my last run was and I had to confess that I did not do as told, that I ran in the Camsur marathon 10km and did around 50km since then. He would not even let me do slow walks or even go biking. I must agree with him that it's for my own good besides he said it's an injury that's career ending. I mentioned that I am running Corregidor so he said that we're doing this to get me ready for Corregidor, but I can't mention my KOTR and Runrio etc. I do not know if I should find comfort in the fact that he said he'll see me in two weeks .... Would this mean that things might get better by then and he would allow me to run.

We had to start from scratch and have new xrays done, an AP/L or anteropsterior and Lateral xrays, as if these things have any meaning for me. I have actually decided not to do my run training for two weeks and cross train with yoga and my loser swimming skills (I don't know how to swim). Let's see what happens...


P.S. Dr. Sia loves my Mizuno Wave and he goes for Mizuno and Asics ...

1 comment:

  1. Hi dear, didn't see your update. Can I have your email add so that I can ask you something about running? :) thanks.

    ReplyDelete